Apologetics: ə-pŏl'ə-jĕt'ĭks from the Greek απоλоγία Def: The branch of theology that is concerned with defending or proving the truth of Christian doctrines.

Blinded "Believers"

Written By Esthermay Bentley-Goossen on 20 March 2007


My Mark was inspired on Sunday. His words from the pulpit were passionate – they were anointed – and spoken with conviction. If there was a soft heart present, there had to be some recognition of sin and a stirring to turn over to Christ: everything! And my prayer is that there was such an experience. I never limit God’s ability to change anyone!

If a pastor’s wife can live off of her husband’s excitement over preaching God’s Word, I needed no physical food on Sunday. I was touched as we greeted people at the door and moved to hear affirmation from spiritually mature Christians how much they love the preaching! But then. . .


During a brief expedition through the building to find my insubordinate two-year-old, I overheard two precious souls openly criticizing – not Mark’s words, but – the words of Scripture. And in doing so, making their pastor appear as though he is preaching some out-of-step gospel that simply does not apply to the world today – and most especially this church after all it’s gone through. It irritated me – and I know it infuriates God when people disregard His Word as inapplicable!

II Corinthians 4:4 does say, “The god of this age has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel. . .” Not surprisingly, the god of this world has also blinded the eyes of so called “Christians.” I wonder sometimes how many people in churches today are even saved! It has to break God’s heart. Lukewarm Christians may fill the pews of churches. They may work like bees to earn their righteousness, but – sadly --they will not populate heaven. There are days I yearn for Christ’s return for no other reason than that He take the true Church away with Him.

This is not a very compassionate side of this pastor’s wife. And without full context of Mark's sermon or the mornings events, I'm sure I seem even more critial. (http://goossengrapevine.blogspot.com/2007/03/i-n-first-three-chapters-of-romans-paul.html) Any other pastor’s wives have these kinds of Sunday morning experiences? I Corinthians 4:1-5 is for us!

“So then, men ought to regard us as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the secret things of God. Not it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful. I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s heart. At that time each will receive his praise form God.”

- Esthermay

No comments:

Page Navigation