Apologetics: ə-pŏl'ə-jĕt'ĭks from the Greek απоλоγία Def: The branch of theology that is concerned with defending or proving the truth of Christian doctrines.

Raising a Missionary

Written By Esthermay Bentley-Goossen on 02 March 2012

Even in laughter the heart may ache, and joy may end in grief.

~ Proverbs 14:13 (NIV)  

He's seven years old. He's adventurous. He loves Civil War history. His attitude is responsible. His ideas, organized and mature. He refuses to wear blue jeans. He is the child of older parents; and his energy brings me to the edge of berserk.


He entertains me. He brings laughter to our home.
And... he is absolutely certain that he wants to be a missionary to Communist China.

Ache: From the Hebrew כאב ka'ab
(Prounounced: kä·av')
Meaning to be in pain, be sore, have pain, be sorrowful.


My heart aches...
that I might raise him right.

I laugh when he refuses to study English verbs and proper nouns -- choosing instead to [pretend to] read in Chinese.

God’s call on this boy's life now trumps my wishes and hopes.

HIS Will always does.

I cannot stand in the way.
But I'm a controlling mother. Shame on me.

I've thrown my whole life into keeping the boy safe. Now his desire is to someday go to a place where he ...
...could die.

My heart aches...
that I might raise him right.
My heart aches...
that I might let him go.
~ Esthermay V. Bentley-Goossen
© 2012 The Heart of a Pastor’s Wife

We write because we love words.
On Fridays we take five minutes and just write them ...
For the simple joy of the process. No matter the result.
Today's word: Ache...

4 comments:

L, Ann and boys said...

He's beautiful (maybe I should say handsome ;). Beautiful are the feet.

Andria

Rebecca said...

Oh, Esthermay, So rare this is! How extraordinary. Such a responsibility is yours. I'm not sure I realized this kind of call and focus "happened" anymore.

He can actually READ Chinese?

Renae Ashton said...

What a wonderful thought that I could be raising a missionary also...I pray that the Lord gives you the strength to be willing to allow Him to have control. The aches that life brings are only covered by the wonderful grace of our Savior!

Betsy Markman said...

Oh wow, this is amazing!

Page Navigation