Apologetics: ə-pŏl'ə-jĕt'ĭks from the Greek απоλоγία Def: The branch of theology that is concerned with defending or proving the truth of Christian doctrines.

Fun With the Sitemeter & Things Done in Secret

Written By Esthermay Bentley-Goossen on 26 April 2008

Scroll down and notice that counter you see over there on the right. It shows nearly 7,000 visits, which I’m most surprised at because whether people realize this or not, I don’t blog that often! But lately, my sitemeter is a virtual treasure trove. I guess you like me, right now, you like me!" Of course you'd have to have been born before about 1980 to understand this.

I’ve enjoyed looking through the referring URL’s to the The Heart of a Pastor’s Wife. They really do yield some surprises from time to time, and show just how many ways - both accidental and deliberate - people come across this blog. It’s equally enjoying to observe the IP addresses of those who visit the blog. Fascinating how the IP addresses of so many of my visitors correspond with e-mail address in my MS Office Outlook and our church's e-mail directory. Are people aware that IP addresses are not a secret? No problem. I’m flattered that you're visiting. The purpose of this blog -- and my husband's blog -- is to allow readers to see life's circumstances in the mirror of God’s Word and be blessed. Everyone is welcome!

To the person in Phoenix who found this site searching Google for "Must wear a diaper” --- Wow, not sure what you’re dealing with there, but I was only making reference to the rule in my own house that you must wear a diaper unless and until you’re potty-trained. You might also be interested in some rather unique uses for diapers on my husband's blog.

To the person in Gauteng, South Africa who found the site searching, "what word means Pastor’s Wife” --- In the English language, there is no one word that defines a pastor's wife; but a rough definition might be:


Pastor's Wife (păs’tĕrz - wīf) noun
1. In the evangelical church, the woman married to the man (i.e. pastor) having spiritual charge over a congregation.
2. The one women in every church who must graciously fit every congregant’s version of Cinderella's glass slipper.


In context of posts on this site, see the definition of the Greek word katastema

To my friend at mayo.edu – I’m puzzled as to why you visit so religiously every[work]day (sometimes more than once). Are you looking for something in particular? I guess “you like me.” And I hope you enjoyed your visit in the Prayer Room.

For the person in Lexington, Kentucky searching, “Does this cheese taste funny” --- I feel your pain.

To the person searching, "Vacuum cleaner as *****”," -- Sorry. I most certainly do not feel your pain. But you're more than welcome to see how we use the vacuum cleaner in the Goossen Home. (It does pick up a lot of dried cheese which I'm sure tastes funny.)

To the person searching for the "role of a pastor’s wife," --- Welcome! We`ve got a lot of that going on around here.

To the many persons searching gossip --- yeah, we`ve got that, too.

Kim Pospisil was nice enough to place my blog on her website as a link. I don't know much about her, except that she is also a pastor wife and lives in Wisconsin. Thanks, Kim.


Since Lisa McKay added me to her Married to the Ministry BlogRoll, I've been getting quite a few accidental tourists really perusing the blog in depth. (We're talking 30+ minute visits.) Thanks, ladies. Hope you were blessed. There really are a lot of us commentator-essayist-bloggin' pastor's wives. Scary, huh?

I apologize to the poor soul who ended up here whilst looking for Hello Kitty Toys. I did make mention of my daughter’s Hello Kitty necklace about a year ago. But it’s not for sale. Sorry. Might I suggest e-bay? Isn’t the Internet amazing?!

I also apologize to my friend Paulette who visits faithfully every Monday from her workstation at indiana.edu. You’re absolutely right - I really need to blog more. The Book-Proposal continues to be a work in progress!

Oh, one more apology: My friend at Express Personnel visits quite frequently too. She's a deliberate visitor. She comes straight in from typing “The Heart of a Pastor’s Wife” at Google. I’m sorry that there’s so little up-to-date content. However. . . . Waaaay back in February 2007, I did post a piece about needing to express my need for my relationship with my husband to grow and flourish. I also wrote once in 2006 about the King James Version expressing something quite beautifully. But I’ve never once used the word "personnel" in the history of the blog. Sorry. I do hope find what you need. Then again, maybe you just “like me.”

My fun with the sitemeter and the use of the sitemeter by bloggers everywhere got me thinking about things done in secret. I admit, I’ve landed on a few blogs after a Google query and I might not be too keen on anyone knowing precisely what I was searching for to begin with.... I’m even less enthusiastic knowing that my IP address is showing up on their sitemeter statistics and that IP addresses can be traced. Yikes!

Ephesians 4:13 says, “It is shameful to talk about what some people do in secret.” Hebrews 4:13 says, "There is nothing that can be hid from God; everything in all creation is exposed and lies open before his eyes. And it is to him that we must all give an account of ourselves." An even more sobering thought is found in Ecclesiastes 12:14: "God is going to judge everything we do, whether good or bad, even things done in secret."

God is Omniscience. -- He is ALL Knowing. Webster defines omniscience as “the quality of knowing all things at once; universal knowledge; knowledge unbounded or infinite.” God knows our thoughts, our feelings, our desires and our needs and our motivation for doing everything we do. He knows our words before we say them and he knows our thoughts before we think them. He knows who we’re going to be rude to before we’ve even contrived the manner in which we're going to be rude! He knows too if our heart is so blind and hardened that we don't realize that what we're doing is rude. He knows all of our ways. In fact, God even knew us before we were born. There are no secrets before Almighty God. In short, God possesses superior knowledge and wisdom about everything and that knowledge is all encompassing. He knows the thoughts of every person on the planet right now, at this instant – all six billion plus people. He knows everything about everybody all the time, down to the most intimate detail – even what we do on the Internet. He doesn’t need a sitemeter or an IP search. He doesn’t need to read blogs or newspapers and He doesn't need to meet with friends over coffee to discuss the latest rumors. He already knows it -- about you and everyone else on earth too. He knows what motivated you to read this blog and how you'll use what you've learned. This fact will give you pause if you dwell upon it.



“O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord. You hem me in--behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. … For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.”

- Psalm 139:1-6, 13-16








1 comment:

Amy Guerino said...

Found you from Married to the Ministry Blogroll. As a pastor's wife I will keep visiting....I love the site meter revelations too! :)

Page Navigation